It’s not easy growing up in Ohio City’s shadow. But head northwest from Market Square and you’ll run into the Detroit Shoreway neighborhood’s Gordon Square, an up-and-coming district that is quickly evolving into an arts haven.
|[Q]“What’s one thing in Greater Cleveland you wish more people knew about?”
“I love the Literary Café [in Tremont],” says Cleveland Public Theatre communications director Mindy Herman. “You walk in and everybody talks to you, and everybody’s an artist, or if they’re not an artist they think they’re an artist. Everybody in there is drawing or painting or writing poetry, but it’s not pretentious.” 1031 Literary Ave., (216) 861-3922
“I think Asia Plaza on Payne Avenue is a hidden gem,” says Linda Baldizzi, owner of the Literary Café. “It’s got Asian stores, shops and a real nice Chinese restaurant. ... It’s not real big, but it’s kind of interesting.” 2999 Payne Ave., Cleveland
|1) Rincon Criollo This family-owned Puerto Rican restaurant is known for its jibarito sandwich. 6504 Detroit Ave., (216) 939-0992
2) Capitol Theatre October 2009 is the target opening date for this three-screen theater focused on independent films. 1390 W. 65th St.
3) I E Jewelry & Gifts This store offers gold, silver, fashion jewelry, watches and gift items. 6420 Detroit Ave., (216) 939-0100
4) City Grill It’s been a neighborhood institution since 1938, but this bar recently became known for its sliders. 6416 Detroit Ave., (216) 651-2170
5) Latitude 41n Named for the restaurant’s location, its large menu includes sandwiches and specialty pizzas. 5712 Detroit Ave., (216) 961-0000, eatatlatitude41n.com
6) Vietnam Market Explore a treasury of Asian foods, from roasted seaweed to dried bean sticks. Don’t miss the produce section. 5506 Detroit Ave.
7) Minh Anh Vietnamese Restaurant This family-run restaurant offers some of the best spring rolls and Vietnamese crepes in town. 5428 Detroit Ave., (216) 961-9671, minh-anh.com
8) Luxe Kitchen & Lounge Chef Marlin Kaplan’s gastro-bar. 6605 Detroit Ave., (216) 920-0600, luxecleveland.com
9) Kitsch City There’s nothing serious inside this gifts and novelties shop. 6511 Detroit Ave., (216) 651-2489, kitschcity.com
10) Room Service A lifestyle shop dedicated to good design in all forms, new and old. 6505 Detroit Ave., (216) 281-4221, roomservicecleveland.com
11) Gypsy Beans & Baking Company A full-service coffee shop, bakery and bistro cafe. 6425 Detroit Ave., (216) 939-9009, gypsybeans.com
12) 1point618gallery An appointment-only art gallery. 6421 Detroit Ave., (216) 281-1618, 1point618gallery.com
13) Cleveland Public Theatre The city’s premier home to alternative theater. 6415 Detroit Ave., (216) 631-2727, cptonline.org
14) Stockyard Meats An old-school butcher shop. 6105 Detroit Ave., (216) 631-1414
15) Happy Dog Local and regional bands Thursday through Saturday, reggae Sundays, DIY DJ Tuesdays and Wii Wednesdays. 5801 Detroit Ave., (216) 651-9474, happydog58.com
in the cle
12:00 AM EST
March 20, 2009