In 1931, wreckers began razing the building as civic favor fell on the Lakeside Avenue courthouse — which now houses the probate court and court of appeals. They toppled the sculpture, removing its left arm and the scales it held. In the process of lowering it to the sidewalk, wrapped in stout ropes, they managed to chip its broad sword.
"The only part of her equipment that remained intact was the blindfold," The Cleveland Press bemoaned March 30, "placed there to preserve her illusions."
Although Cuyahoga County commissioner J.H. Harris told The Plain Dealer the statue was to be washed and moved to the new courthouse, it seems he had a politician's propensity for overpromising.
By 1932, the blindfolded lady presided over a scrapyard. The county attempted to sell it, but justice abided no price, dwindling from $4,000 to $1,000. But still there were no takers.
"Motorists coming up the [West Third] Street ramp to Eagle Avenue see a disconsolate blackened figure leaning against a shed," reported the Dec. 30 Plain Dealer. "That is Justice."